Vivid Beilngries

Beilngries is a lively city and this vitality is felt by the visitor at every turn. It was the gastronomy that has played a pioneering role and still does today. With considerable effort, historical buildings have been brought back to life and convey the same traditional flair that appeals to the soul of man. The attractiveness also applies to the revitalized markets and the numerous festivals, which people from near and far attract to come to Beilngries.

You are here


Historic Beilngries

The study of history means looking back and one is thankful for and pleased with every single picture. It is well known that pictures say more than a thousand words, which is why photographs that were taken 100 years ago are real eye-catchers. The city fortifications, the wall with its towers and gates, and much more, have become a lot clearer today. Inside, some buildings, outside the mills and the impressive structure of the brewery clearly stand out. Everything is dominated by the Duke’s Castle.

Beilngries before 1886, photo archive Foto Marburg / Photographer Teufel, Carl / Filser, Benno,

Town fortifications

Town fortifications

Sources point out that Beilngries already had a city wall with gates before 1407, which was strengthened and expanded over time. The visible parts of the town fortification with walls and towers essentially date back to the first half of the 15th century and have been restored several times. To this day, nine of the originally twelve towers within the city wall, mostly named after the municipal servant who was assigned the tower as an apartment in exchange for his work, are mostly well preserved (e.g., the "Sauhüterturm"(pig shepherd’s tower)). In the Middle Ages, the wall primarily served as a protection against attacks, but also to control access to the town. This was done through the gates, where transiting trade was checked and people had to pay various fees, such as the so-called plaster duty. At night the gates were closed.

In Beilngries there was the southern gate at the current traffic light junction and the northern gate at the Schattenhofer brewery, the now visible passages to the east and west were not part of the historic fortifications. Both gates were demolished in the 1880s, in order not to hinder traffic with the widening wagons. The gatehouse was preserved in the northwestern corner of the crossing area.

Upper gate, outside, shot before 1887
Upper gate, inside, shot before 1887
Lower gate, outside, shot before 1886
Lower gate, inside, shot before 1886
Flurerturm in the southeast of the city, photo taken around 1907, photo: LfD
Flurerturm with exposed truss, photo taken around 1910, photo: LfD
Badturm in the east of the city, photo: LfD
Bürgerturm in the northeast of the city at the Schattenhofer brewery, photo taken in 1907, photo: LfD
Seelnonnenturm in the east of the city, photo from 1907, photo:LfD
Sauhüterturm at the northwestern corner of the city fortification, photo: LfD and estate H. Prinstner
View of the western city wall with Strohbauern-, Wasserschöpfer- and Sauhüterturm, photo: LfD
Rossturm on the southwestern corner of the city fortification, photo: LfD
Southern city wall, in the background the Rossturm, photo: LfD
Former Reiglturm on the western city wall, demolished between 1914 and 1918, photo taken in 1907, photo: LfD

The city of Beilngries as a motif of early painting and graphics

The few prints, watercolors and paintings of Beilngries are even older, but they are really fascinating. Most of them date back to the 19th century.


Beilngries in archival sources

In this document from the year 1007 Bilingriez was mentioned for the first time

Documents and archival records date back to older times, with the oldest being a document of the donation of Beilngries to the new Bishopric of Bamberg by Emperor Henry II in the year 1007. Beilngries was already an important place then. The certification of being a “market town” in 1053, which Bishop Gebhard asks Emperor Henry III. for, can be compared with founding a new town. In the 15th century, Beilngries has definitely become a city with walls, towers, gates and moats.

Archaeological sources from Beilngries

Pompous fibula

Even before this time, there are documents, land certificates and other objects that have survived and that can be "read" by archaeologists. It is a rich "harvest" that began in Beilngries more than 200 years ago. And there was a lot of gathering, of which little was preserved at the place itself today. There are the estimated 1000 graves of the Hallstatt culture, whose excavation, or rather exploitation began more than 100 years ago.
Beilngries as a location and place was highly significant also because of its castle on the mountain spur, the Duke’s Castle, which was probably called "Hirschberg" early on. Perhaps the facility dates back to the time of the Hungarian invasions of the 10th century and continued to develop. Presumably, the exposed mountain spur was already a fortress in prehistoric times. There is still much to research here.
The Virtual Museum is to be understood as an offer to study Beilngries, as initially referred to, in retrospective. Nothing is complete. It is meant as a beginning - for countless glances back, like a movie, to make the past of Beilngries understandable, for those who live here, and for those who come to visit Beilngries.

Context Column